Now this isn't what you would call a traditional Pasta Primavera. Not even close actually. To be honest I just stole the name to fit a little pun in there. Puns make for infinitely catchier titles than mere descriptions do. Yes. This doesn't mean, however, that this Pasta Pea-mavera doesn't live up to the springtime feeling of the original. The wonderful greens combined with freshly squeezed lemon juice make for a great springtime dinner or lunch, so the cheeky little name appropriation wasn't entirely uncalled for. (My sincere apologies to any offended pasta connoisseurs out there!)
This dish is also a great way to get your greens in... Because they're literally everywhere in this recipe! Wohoo! The broccoli will provide you with an abundance of vitamins (namely, vitamins A, C, K and folate) plus a great deal of your daily fibre needs, while the peas contribute with protein and a wonderful sweetness to the sauce. Go super greens!
Here's the recipe!
- 1 heaped cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream substitute
- 2 big handfuls fresh basil leaves + more for garnish
- 2 small heads of broccoli (approximately 250 g)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown rice pasta or pasta of your choice, enough for two servings (approximately 150 g)
1. Bring a small pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to instructions on package.
2. Divide the broccoli into small, individual florets and steam until it is almost cooked through but not mushy.
3. Meanwhile the broccoli steams and the pasta cooks, place the peas in a saucepan over low heat until they have thawed completely.
4. Add in the remaining ingredients (except for the broccoli) and blend with a hand blender until fairly smooth. You can go on for longer if you want an even smoother texture but I prefer it a little chunkier. (You may also have to re-heat the sauce before putting it on the pasta.)
5. Toss the cooked pasta in the sauce and add the broccoli. Top with a few fresh basil leaves and serve immediately!