Behold my attempt to veganize this good old classic loved and cherished by people all over the world. Here in Sweden it goes by 'Makaronipudding', which literally means 'Macaroni Pudding'. I know for you English people that's something else but this is the kind of mac 'n' cheese that most people are familiar with; the savoury one.
But how does one make macaroni and cheese without the cheese? Well, there's this wonderful little thing called nutritional yeast that can replace the cheese. I know, cheese addicts out there, this may seem hard to grasp. Because yeast? Doesn't sound so appealing. But it is! Since going vegan, I don't think a single day has gone by without me using it in at least something. It adds a cheesy, savoury flavour that is just too good for words. Another of the reasons why I love it so much is because one single tablespoon provides you with almost all of the B-vitamins that you need. One tablespoon!
So I hope I've convinced you to start incorporating this miracle ingredient into more of your meals. And vegans, this is especially directed at you. Buy it. Just do it.
Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
3 oz./80 g uncooked brown rice pasta, preferably macaroni or fusilli (or pasta of your choice)
4 oz./110g silken tofu, firm
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp vegan cream substitute (such as Oatly iMat 15%)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 pinch nutmeg
Cherry tomatoes (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil pasta according to instructions on package.
2. Pre-heat oven to 200C
3. Put the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and blend with a hand blender until smooth. Season as you go, don't skimp on the salt but don't use too little either!
4. When the pasta is done, drain and pour it into the bowl with the 'cheese' sauce. Stir well and make sure that all the pasta is covered with sauce.
5. Pour the 'macaroni and cheese' into 1-2 ramekins or a small casserole like the one on the picture. Halve cherry tomatoes and put a few on top.
6. Sprinkle with some additional nutritional yeast and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Check it now and then to make sure it doesn't burn on top!
7. Serve immediately.